Cameroonian and Nigerian troops have killed at least 162 Boko Haram terrorists in the Nigerian town of Goshi, says the minister of communication Issa Tchiroma.
Cameroon’s special forces successfully raided the border town – a Boko Haram command post near Ashigashia (Cameroon) – between February 11 and 14, 2016, Tchiroma said at a news conference yesterday.
The joint operation baptized “Arrow Five” led to the destruction of four artisanal bomb and landmine factories. A training centre where teenagers were allegedly brainwashed to become suicide bombers and two pickup vehicles were set ablaze.
“Thousands of ammunitions of various calibres; two 12.7 millimetre heavy machine guns, three 7.62 millimetre machine guns, one RPG7 type rocket launcher, 12 AK47 assault rifles, two rifles, several grenades, and one gas gun were seized,” he said.
Cameroon forced carried out the operation in collaboration with the Army Staff of the Nigerian Armed Forces, which provided intelligence before and during the raid.
Tens of civilian hostages from Cameroon and Nigeria were also freed.
Tchiroma confirmed the deaths of Lieutenant Colonel Kwene Ekwele Belthus Honore and Captain Pipwoh Yari Emmanuel.
The former was killed by a landmine explosion on February 14. His convoy was en route to the Nigerian town of Pulka to handover freed Nigerian hostages to authorities.
The latter died in a February 11 gun battle where at least 27 terrorists were killed by Cameroon’s Special Forces.
Last month, Issa Tchiroma Bakary disclosed that close to 1,200 Cameroonians have been killed by Boko Haram since 2013.
“We have recorded 315 incursions, 12 accidents from landmines, and 32 suicide attacks. At least 1,098 civilians, 67 soldiers and three policemen have lost their lives through Boko Haram’s barbarism,” he said.
Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, and Chad are part of an 8,700-man multi-national joint task force, which is backed by the African Union and the Lake Chad Basin Commission to crush Boko Haram’s seven-year insurgency.